The number of prostate cancer patients is growing. The incidence of patients being diagnosed with prostate cancer has continued to grow over the past few decades, due in part, to the number of aging baby boomers and to the effectiveness of diagnostic technology. Millions of men in the US are living with prostate cancer, either newly diagnosed, at risk of having recurrence of their disease, or who have clinical evidence of recurrent disease.
Patient Profiles for ProstaScint Imaging
Pre-therapeutic Evaluation in Newly Diagnosed High Risk Patients 3,8,9
- PSA > 20
- Gleason score ≥ 8
- Clinical stage ≥ T2c
- Negative bone scan
In Suspected Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Rising PSA
- Negative bone scan
- Negative / equivocal standard metastatic evaluation
- American Cancer Society, www.cancer.org
- Catalona WJ, Smith DS. Cancer recurrence and survival rates after anatomic radical retropubic prostatectomy for prosate cancer: intermediate term results. J Urology 1998; 160; 2428-2434.
- D’Amico AV, Whittington R, Malkowicz SB, et al. The combination of preoperative prostate specific antigen and postoperative pathological findings to predict prostate specific antigen outcome in clinically localized prostate cancer. J Urol. 1998;160:2096-2101.
- Agarwal PK, Sadetsky N, Konety BR, Resnick MI, Carroll PR; Cancer of the Prostate Strategic Urological Research Endeavor (CaPSURE). Treatment failure after primary and salvage therapy for prostate cancer: likelihood, patterns of care, and outcomes. Cancer. 2008;112(2):307-14.
- Dan Lewinshtein, Brandon Teng, Ashley Valencia, Robert Gibbons, Christopher R. Porter; The Long-Term Outcomes after Radical Prostatectomy of Patients with Pathologic Gleason 8-10 Disease. Advances in Urology. Volume 2012, Article ID 428098, 6 pages
- Prostate Cancer Foundation, www.pcf.org
- Moffitt Cancer Center, https://moffitt.org
- Leah Gerber, Lionel L. Bañez, Stephen J. Freedland; Defining and Treating High-Risk Prostate Cancer: Can We Do Better? European Urology, 2010; 58 (1): 8-9
- Nigel Borley, Mark R. Feneley; Prostate Cancer: Diagnosis and Staging. Asian J Androl. 2009 Jan; 11(1): 74–80.